Friday, April 14, 2006

Crispy, green, and irresistible

My original plan was to blog only about things that took actual courage to eat, but I can't be expected to seek out chocolate-covered insects and lightly grilled organ meats every day. So I may choose on some days to ramble about some food item I think is odd. Today is one of those days, and the food item in question is guacamole tortilla chips.

Now, I am a big fan of avocados in all their delicious buttery forms. At its best, combining the creamy green goodness of avocado with the proper bite of a good salsa and a shiver of lime, guacamole is sublime. And a corn chip, in addition to being satisfyingly salty and crispy on its own, is the perfect delivery vehicle for a big dollop of guac. But I cannot figure out how they get the avocado into the chip. I'm sure it involves a giant vat of multi-vegetable slurry, and that is something I prefer not to think too much about.

Nonetheless, I bought a bag yesterday from Trader Joe's, which I can rely on to meet many of my "hmmm, never tried that before" needs, and dug in, and: crackity crack crack crack. These things are dangerous. They aren't perfect; they need real guacamole on top. But I munched my way through half the bag in what I can only call a snack food fugue in about 15 minutes. Beware the guacamole chip! Beware!

No comments: