Wednesday, April 12, 2006

a little less conversation, a little more action

Some time in the last few weeks, I found myself having a serious conversation about calf's liver. I saw it on a menu, made some comment to the friend I was with that amounted to blech, liver, and...well, I'm told it's quite good if it's prepared properly, but clearly, I've never experienced it properly prepared.

Anyway, that's where the idea for this blog came from. I am not a gourmet or any kind of food professional; I'm just a woman who likes food -- cooking it, and more importantly, eating it. I'm pretty much omnivorous. I'll try just about anything once, and if it doesn't trigger my gag reflex, I'll probably try it again. And I'll tell you about it.

For reference, these are some things that trigger my gag reflex:
  • Runny egg yolks. You can keep your poached, sunny side up, soft-boiled, what have you. I call that raw, and while raw is nice for sushi, it is not so nice for eggs.
  • Uni. Looks like snot, smells like the beach at low tide, tastes like snot on the beach at low tide. Also, has a mouthfeel not unlike library paste.
  • Mayonnaise. If it's in potato salad or lightly spread on toast for a BLT, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, it's (shudder) raw egg yolks, and I already told you how I felt about those.
  • Calf's liver, maybe. Just the thought of it kind of does me in. But I will bravely try it. Because I care. Or is that because I can?
This is not a comprehensive list. It's just meant to give you some idea of what to expect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure your first sampling of calf's liver is cooked by someone who knows how to prepare THIN slices so they're crisp on the outside yet still pink inside. Make sure the traditional accompaniment are present: a mound of caramelized onions and several slices of BACON.
And if you find you hate it, remember that one on the great omnivores of all times, James Beard, loathed chicken livers.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I'm with you on the calf's liver, although I recently made pate from scratch and although the chicken livers squicked me out, once they made it through the food processor with all that melted butter, they weren't bad at all.

Welcome to the bloggy world!

Anonymous said...

looking forward to anything you write ~

JK said...

mmm.... tasty.

:)