Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Fish got livers!

Today's adventure: ankimo, or in English, monkfish liver.

Okay, it wasn't an adventure to me. I've eaten it many times. It is one of the first things I look for on the menu at a sushi bar, and if it's not on the menu, I ask the chef if it's available. Basically, it's fishy paté, steamed until it's a little firmer than chicken liver paté and comes apart in chunks instead of crumbling. It generally arrives in little round pieces, about the size and color of a slice of hot dog, and it tends to be on a bed of shaved daikon.

Today's was topped with a little dollop of grated daikon infused with chili so hot it made my eyes water and little bits of minced green onion. It was perfectly fresh, rich, and creamy. I was tempted to get a second order, and now I'm sorry I didn't.

Later, I had two macarons -- hazelnut (sadly, not as nutty as I'd like) and chocolate-mandarine (the orange and dark chocolate in excellent balance). Macarons are not adventuresome; they're just sublime.

No comments: