Thursday, June 01, 2006

The creative home chef, or, adventures in Lazy But Hungry

My sincerest apologies for not saying much lately. It's not that I haven't been eating. I have, of course, several times a day. It's just that nothing I've eaten has seemed worth mentioning. See "the road to hell, paving of."

My food-loving pals and I have a concept we call "Lazy But Hungry," or LBH for short. It refers to the things you eat when you want something tasty, but don't have the time, the energy, or the ambition to make a big effort. For me, that sometimes means making a quick run around the corner to King of Thai Noodle House for the #16 (flat steamed rice noodles with squid, fish cake, ground shrimp, whole shrimp, and fake crab in delicious gravy -- highly recommended). Sometimes it means tossing a big bowl of pasta with garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes. And sometimes it just means "hmmm, what do I have in the house?" Tonight fell into the latter category. I didn't mind cooking, I didn't even mind improvising, as long as it didn't mean having to give it a lot of thought.

I started by defrosting the last 1-cup container of chicken stock from my last bout of stock-making, mostly because I wanted the container for the next batch of stock, which I plan to make this weekend. To that, I added a pot of white beans I cooked yesterday on the assumption that I'd figure out something to do with them later, though I didn't know what that would be at the time. They were soon joined by a can of diced chopped tomatoes, a couple of minced cloves of garlic, one small onion chopped up fine, some thyme and sage (note to self: you're almost out of sage), and a hot Italian chicken sausage sliced into thin rounds. I stirred the lot of it together in a 2-quart casserole and stuck it in the oven at 425F. After 15 minutes, I topped it with two slices of 12-grain bread cut into cubes and tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and put it back in the oven for 15 more minutes until the bread was all crispy and golden.

Et voila: faux cassoulet. Or should I call it "half-assoulet"?

1 comment:

williston101 said...

..My friends and I are putting together a cooking magazine, I like your funny comments and the articles you've written on ytour website. I would like to reprint everything you've done..and maybe if you have the time I would like to see if you might want to join our magazine? I don't have much money, but I would love to have you write for the magazine!
-Jed Williston
williston101@hotmail.com