Sunday, June 18, 2006

Mmmmm. Crispy.

Tried a new snackish food today: SnaPea Crisps. They're odd. Pea pods, with peas inside, coated with what I think is rice flour and baked into crunchiness. They come out sort of puffy and crispy at once, like a cheesy poof. Peasy poof? Anyway, they're pretty tasty, but I don't see them taking over from the classic potato chip any time soon.

Speaking of potato chips, I am reliably informed that you can get pickle-flavored chips in London. The Brits do have a lovely exotic way with what they call "crisps." Every schoolchild in England likes a nice "crisp butty," which is not an uncomfortable pair of pants, but a bunch of potato chips mashed into a sandwich between two halves of a buttered roll. When I was last in London, I saw and ate potato chips in flavors like curry, cheese and onion, even shrimp cocktail. I am in favor of exotic flavor! But a potato that tastes like a pickle? That's just wrong.

2 comments:

Andfre said...

Love your blog :)

We have dill pickle chips in Canada... I thought everyone did. They're actually quite good, especially for a craving when really you don’t know what you want.

Speaking of peas... I hate peas! But what I was really going to ask is if you've tried wasabi peas, which are dried & coated in wasabi? They are sort of like beer nuts with a bit of zip. Love em! Hate peas, but love wasabi peas.

Fawn said...

Thanks!

I am a big fan of the wasabi pea. I can get two different kinds at the Japanese market in my neighborhood: normal spicy and OW HOT HOT spicy. I like mixing them up.